Thursday, February 5, 2009

Re-Connect with people

You know,
I try to pay attention to what's happening around us as a collective. I have noticed a few trends with people lately that I find fascinating, and I thought I would share my observations. We did an interview with a young man a few weeks ago for Grant Digital Media . Part of the interview was a question of how he uses technology to connect with friends and colleagues. His answer really surprised me. He said he's trying to get away from technology and start re-connecting with people. This seemed out of place for a young man of 21. So, I started thinking about the implications of this generation getting away from technology and getting more face to face.
It seems that in our current world with all of the social networking options like facebook, myspace, twitter, etc. we start to live in this virtual society where people don't talk to each other as much as exist around each other. I have started to hear this from major players in several industries, and I find it very interesting (not to mention ironic that I'm writing this on a blog) So, next time someone sends you a text, facebook wall post, or an e-mail. Try giving them a call. Set up a meeting. Get out and talk to people. It may really make a difference in the quality of your connections, not just the number of "friends" you have...
Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post bill!

Anonymous said...

So true Bill. That's why I like to pick up the phone and call you every now and then ;) PLUS, "text" is impersonable anyways. You can't read one's body language or hear their tone like you can in person--as a result, people often assume the worst, like "I don't care to" written can mean, "I don't want to" OR "I wouldn't mind" Anyways... great post!